You are a leader and a mentor. You’re an experienced rock climber who enjoys working with kids. You have the ideas and experience to build a youth climbing team program in the areas of training, technique, the mental game, and competition strategy. You’re a climbing and training nerd! You demonstrate the drive to learn everything you can about competition climbing, training youth climbers, and mentoring youth.
This is a part-time position and requires evening and weekend commitments.
- Maintain Team IRG’s culture on the core values of effort, respect, and progression
- Have an upbeat and positive attitude at practice and competitions
- Coach athletes between the ages of 8 and 18 in Sport, Speed, and Bouldering in a safe manner that protects them from injury
- Run team practices multiple days per week
- Coach climbers at Local and Championship competitions
- Create and follow a seasonal practice and training schedule
- Teach youth climbers to belay and lead climb/belay
- Mentor Assistant Coaches
- Ensure USAC documentation is submitted before deadlines
- Plan and guide outdoor trips for the Team
- Stay up to date with USAC Rules and the latest information on training youth climbers
- Communicate regularly and professionally with parents
- Maintain safety standards and balance Team needs with Member needs
- Maintain enrollment numbers and recruit new Team members as athletes age-out
The ideal candidate would possess previous youth USAC coaching experience, HOWEVER, we will consider candidates who are excited about learning and motivated to delve into educating themselves about competition climbing and training youth climbers safely.
- Experience working with youth in a leadership capacity
- Strong climbing ability, 5.12/v7 or higher
- Background in strength training and instructing climbing technique or desire/ability to learn
- Currently hold or willing to attain USAC Coach, SafeSport, and CPR & First Aid certification
- Patience and the ability to communicate with children and parents with kindness and respect
- Experience coaching youth competition climbers
- Experience with USAC rules and competitions
- Former USA Climbing competitor
- College degree
- Positive Coaching Alliance Certification
- Dependent on experience
- Flexible schedule (excluding practices, competitions, outdoor trips, and team events)
- Industry discounts
- Discounted memberships for family
To apply, send us an email describing yourself, your work experience, and why you want to work with us, along with a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.